Saturday, August 27, 2011

Summer Reading: The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

For my summer reading, I chose to read Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray. Throughout my life, I had heard my family discussing the tale and knew the basic plot of the story; thus, I was excited to form my own opinions on the novel and join the dinner-table discussions. I found that I greatly enjoyed the story due to several types of excellent storytelling, such as complex characters, unpredictability, and audience engagement, or a moral worth thinking about.

The characters in the novel are multifaceted, riddled with incongruities, and thus, fascinating. Every character has redeeming qualities, though all also have their flaws. Dorian Gray, for example, struggles periodically between good and evil, and I was able to empathize with his plight to an extent because I understood the circumstances that shaped him; however, I also condemned much of his behavior because I knew the possibility of what he could be. This complexity made Dorian an interesting character, who in some ways I could relate to on the basis of understanding. Lord Henry, too, is a multi-faceted character. While he preaches sin and corrupts young Dorian, Wilde never actually discusses the evils he does. This piqued my interest and made me wonder if the evils he does are more influential and vicarious through Dorian or if he actually is doing anything himself. I tend to believe that he is not because he believes he can’t as he is no longer “youth.”

One trait I particularly liked about the novel was its unpredictability. Even knowing the basic plot, I was surprised at many points. When I read James Vane’s promise to kill “Prince Charming” if he ever hurt his sister, I was expecting the rest of the book to unfold in a typical pattern. I was not surprised in the slightest when as a drunken sailor he meets and threatens Dorian at the opium den. However, when Vane ultimately dies without finishing his quest to kill Dorian, I was legitimately shocked, as I had seen the whole book through the lens of postponing what I thought was the inevitable murder. I was pleased to find out that I had been wrong about the ending, as it showed unpredictability, which I consider a crucial element of good story telling.

While reading the novel, I often felt as though I was reading something taboo at certain times. So when Wilde writes about Dorian’s reading of a “poisonous book” that exposes him to all sorts of sins, I was drawn deeper into the book, comparing my reading to Dorian’s. Similarly, as some of the beliefs expressed by Lord Henry—and to some extend Dorian as well—about sin and human nature were so grossly against mine, I found the novel to be fascinating in its divergence from ethical norms. Lord Henry resolutely upholds vices that are shunned in society, and Wilde’s monologues were so well done that they nearly convinced me, as the reader, to believe the different moral code. The tough questions that the novel pose—about the value of beauty versus substance, intellect versus art, the picture versus real life, and moral versus evil—have left me ruminating about what I believe since I finished the book, and have left room for vast conversations at the dinner table.

2 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful interpretation and description of The Picture of Dorian Gray because you outline all of your points so clearly. From this entry I can tell that you were enthralled by Wilde's "multifaceted" characters, his unpredictable plot, and his theme of sin and evil. I find myself wanting to read this novel now! Your examples are also very well thought out, and at the same time, not overanalyzed. From this entry, I understand that the theme that ties all of these great aspects of Wilde's novel together is your great interest in the book. You knew that this was great storytelling because you were so intrigued by Wilde's writing. I can't think of anything that you need to add, except maybe a more definite conclusion when you write the actual paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Leah! I really enjoyed reading this. I had no familiarity with the novel, and I think you did a great job of introducing it to me. Your thesis was pretty clear, and I liked how well your body paragraphs adhered to it. Although this is really a fantastic piece of writing, I did notice a couple of things that you could take a look at. I found the last part of your thesis (audience engagement/thought-provoking moral code) a little confusing because it didn't quite line up with the intro sentence of the last paragraph, so it might be a good idea to edit that intro sentence to more clearly talk about the audience engagement and moral code. I think it would also be useful to explain how exactly Dorian is multifaceted; maybe you could use some direct quotes here? Finally, while the second paragraph is good on the whole, the drunken sailor sentence was a little confusing. I think it would be beneficial to provide more context to show how the sailor is related to Dorian and Vane. My little comments are mostly nitpicks, though, so take too much stock with it--this was really well written!

    ReplyDelete